Monday, March 30, 2015

Day 3 at VOH



Monday
7:30 Breakfast
8:30 Work Project
12:00 Lunch
1:00 Time with kids
5:00 Dinner
6:30 Devotions



Please note flower behind Justin's ear

“Today was a very busy day. We finally started our work project, which was planting flowers around the campus. We had our breakfast and headed off to a nursery to pick out whatever gorgeous, exotic, or stunning flowers we liked. Once we got home, we proceeded to plant the flowers (which involves quite a bit of digging, mixing soil, and hauling water to where the hose won't reach). We then ate lunch. We were supposed to have time with the kids at 1:30, so we spent most of the time between lunch and then preparing crafts. Soon all the kids from the three houses (casas) were eagerly awaiting craft time. Today our craft was painting little houses, weaving potholders, and making headbands and bracelets.The next 2 hours were full of laughter as we tried to explain each craft in Spanish, and helping each kid finish up their projects. Then it was cleanup time while Miss Shelly started a game of sharks and minnows, with a fun twist— everyone had a soccer ball they had to dribble to the end, and if it was kicked out of bounds, they were out! Awhile into the games, the little kids had their Bible story time with Julio, Justin and Chris. This evening, we had devotions and now we are playing games. -Alle”




“So what happens when you start wondering what to do with all the extra crafts supplies that you brought despite all that careful planning time and money spent preparing?  Well, God provides extra time with the families that needs to be filled with activities that will allow parents and siblings to work together.  Yay, God!  Those of you who prayed for flexibility and unity on our ministry team, that prayer has been answered with amazing abundance.  Someone is always nearby and offering to jump in and help, change plans on a dime, or laugh along with our attempts to communicate.  I looked at the translator today while I was trying to explain how to paint little wooden houses and asked if he would help.  He said I was doing fine.  So sweet to have this young man’s vote of confidence, but I did need to know how to say “roof” … again. 

It was great fun to speak to the man, Rolando, who takes care of the grounds here and talk about all the beautiful plants.  His whole family knows the Lord and his wife and daughter also work here.  We are looking forward to God’s stretching us in new ways tomorrow as we minister by delivering food in a nearby village and soup to the homeless in the evening in Antigua.”




“I probably haven’t met most of you reading this, but I’ve certainly heard about your prayers and commitment to making this trip a continuation of sharing the love of God. I find myself smack-dab in the middle of a team of prayer warriors and brother (sorry Justin! glad you came though!) and sisters in Christ, and for this I’m so thankful. I’ve been on several different teams ranging from medical and construction teams from Haiti to Zambia, Mexico, and the Dominican Republic. This is my first team though where I knew only one person at the start. I guess that’s what’s really great about this trip. I get to meet so many new people. And they talk about you and their love for Christ and how he’s working in lives everywhere. I’m glad to be a tiny part. 

If I could help you picture what I’ve seen in the time since I’ve come I’d describe browned skin and soccer balls of every color. Cement block buildings with rainbows of clean laundry twisted into ropes blowing in the breezes. Cool mornings with good coffee (grown locally) and afternoons where the sun blazes onto the concrete as kids race and roll and tumble in play. Exclamations in a language where I catch a few phrases at a time, but where smiles and laughter and wrinkled brows are universal. Dogs barking (apparently there’s a nearby kennel) at all hours, and sirens waking you from sleep. Rain falling on a tin roof. Beaded bracelets, wrought iron bars, rough but thick blankets. Green-as-can-be guacamole and fresh mango and pineapple in bowls on colorfully woven blankets. 

Describing the good things here doesn’t change the fact that people here are still people. And their struggles day to day may not always be exactly the same as mine, but Satan is still the Enemy. And I pray that as you look at our photographs and read our thoughts and time goes on that you don’t forget to pray for our brothers and sisters here. For their children, for their marriages, for their example to the community here. That lives will be changed and healed and redeemed.  -Audrey”





“Today was encouraging for me. I was honestly feeling a little discouraged last night. I was thinking about the kids before falling asleep. I know they are accepted and loved here. I know they have an abundance of food, a family, shelter, and a chance to hear about Jesus. 

But, I couldn’t help but think, surely there must be times they feel lonely. They must feel the sting of abandonment over and over, and hear the screams of past abuse. I wondered if they felt trapped in this safe shelter? I wondered if they ever felt cabin fever, wanting to leave and search for something more.

But, maybe they know there is no where else but here. They know there is no where else most of their physical needs can be met. They know there is no one else who will care enough…  SO maybe this IS their best; GOD’S best for them. 

My heart still broke for them as I fell asleep. 

But, after today, GOD encouraged my heart and reminded me of his faithfulness in their lives through the ministry at Village of Hope. The activities of today and the motivation the children had to complete the crafts proved the joy they feel from those who come and take time to sit, laugh, listen, and attempt to communicate in broken Spanish. Their simple smiles and laughter comforted my soul knowing that everyone who serves and supports this ministry, allows them to experience something different than the mundane. Each cheerful soul who knows the love of Christ and chooses to spend time here, or even those who consistently pray from a million of miles away, play a part in igniting a light of hope into their hearts… especially on those days where they must struggle to fight through raw and human emotions. -Chris” 




“Watching a former orphan, now team leader and translator's eyes sparkle and face light up as his silly faces and goofy sounds elicit raucous peals of laughter from an otherwise quiet 6 month old, God's immense love is clearly visible and almost palpable here. A 14-year-old teenage boy passes by a stroller and can't help but tickle his baby sister's chubby cheeks, hoping to turn her anxious expression into a smile. They are siblings by God's redemptive purpose, not by birth. A two week old baby, whose mother rejected her because her head was deformed by excess fluid around her brain, received life-saving surgery, has been given constant and tender loving care by a 19 year old saint, and changed the lives of an untold number of people lifting her up before their Father who helps the helpless. It was His design that this precious little one would break hearts and testify to the inestimable value of each life He creates; she is no "mistake". All of this we witnessed in twelve short hours today at Village of Hope; what a mighty and Faithful God we serve!”



Thank you for your encouragement and prayers! I leave you with the following selfie taken on an unattended phone... ~C

No comments:

Post a Comment