Sunday, March 20, 2016

Day 1

We went to sleep to the sound of a rooster crowing in the distance and we woke up to… a rooster crowing in the distance. Throughout the night, at any given time, you might hear hundreds of dogs barking at a nearby kennel or the sounds of guns being fired that are actually fireworks, but somehow you're still not sure.


“We started off with a wonderful breakfast prepared by the staff. Scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, rolls, and fried plantains. Todd and Amy gave us an overview of the ministry in VOH. In the chapel many of the children from VOH prepared several beautiful dances to go along with the music. These children are truly beautiful inside and out. One of the girls ministered to us, telling us how we need to give everything to God and that we may make mistakes but Jesus always forgives us and will wash us clean. No matter where you're at in life God will use you for His glory. Everyone has a purpose according to Gods plan.” ~Tasia and Caryn




Visiting the casas.



“While getting ready for this trip, I had heard the song "Oceans" at a youth group, and I thought that it was a really great song. I talked to my mom about singing it at VOH in Spanish,  so I practiced the song and constantly played it in the car to learn the lyrics, but I was too nervous to sing it in front of people so I never passed it along to Christine. In the church service today we sang the song and I was in tears. There was no way anyone could have known that I was in love with this song, it was obviously the work of God. The moment I heard it start I knew that this is where I'm supposed to be. The environment at VOH is amazing, you can definitely feel God working here. The children smile at you, accept you even though they have been through so much, even when people haven't accepted them.  I am so happy God put it in my heart to come here.” ~Tasia


“Listening to Debbie’s retelling of Joseph’s biography in company of the VOH kids brought the very familiar story to life for me. The details of how the children got to VOH vary, but they all share in heaps of tragedy, abuse, and neglect. Some have predominant scars on their skin, but all of their wounds are much deeper. One particular story stood out to me: a preteen sold by her mother.

Without knowing the person’s past, Debbie began the story as Joseph’s brothers sold him into slavery too. Suddenly, Joseph’s life wasn’t just a tale anymore. I was hearing a real person’s tragedy that someone else in the room could very much relate to. It was as if God pulled Joseph out to deep past and plopped him into today. How did he feel when he saw his brothers again? How did he want to treat them? But how and where did he find the strength to show such mercy? God was demonstrating that He empowers His people to rise above their trauma and to love even their enemies through the life of Joseph, a real person, a true believe, a genuine role model. How would I feel and what would I do if my mother sold me into slavery? How could I even go on?! God is calling this young person in this very room to tremendous forgiveness. 
God continues to encourage his people today with a rich history documented for our benefit and His glory!” ~Linda

We had the opportunity to spend some time making crafts with the kids this afternoon.  Tasia led a lanyard making activity that was a huge hit with the older kids.  They picked it up very quickly and spent a long time working on them.


The younger kids made airplanes out of craft sticks that they colored.  They all had their own ideas of how to put them together and we let them.  Some of them were, uh, very creative! 



Later, Debbie Carroll worked with the older kids on crocheting potholders.  They were all really involved in this activity too and it was great to see how quickly they took to it.

And for game time we will let the pictures tell the story…




“Knowing that I was going to be sharing for devotions tonight, I’ve prayed the last couple of weeks that the Lord would tell me what to say. Today I was encouraged that I heard what He had laid on my heart. And that is our call to “encourage each other”. To instill fresh courage into someone. To give them confidence and support. God calls us to be spiritual encouragers. To build up those that are facing great challenges. And here we are with just that opportunity. I’m looking forward to being an encourager and an encouragement as we serve here in Guatemala. A word of encouragement can change a life. Colossians 2:2-3 My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” ~Connie





As you can see it was a great first day. ~Christine

For more information about Village of Hope or to sponsor a child please visit VillageofHopeGuatemala.com

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful testimonies, pictures and insights. Especially loved hearing from Tasia! Love you all. At GBC this morning, Suzanne and I were introduced to a young gal who has been a missionary with an organization based in Guatemala City for two years. Her parents live in PH, but are not believers. She chose to attend GBC based on something she found on TGC's website. The sermon this morning was a huge encouragement on how to love missionaries, so she was blessed by God's provision in so many ways. She has heard of Addi and VOH, but never visited. Imagine her surprise when she saw the promo for Addi's visit in our bulletin. We will have to get them connected and get more details about what she is doing by email.

    Blessings, Suzy

    ReplyDelete